Friday, March 30, 2012

Review: Take a Bow by Elizabeth Eulberg

Title: Take a Bow
Author: Elizabeth Eulberg
Publisher: Point
Age Group: Young Adult
Category:  Contemporary
Release date: April 1st, 2012
Pages: 280 (ARC)
Rating: 4 out of 5
Source: Publisher

Emme, Sophie, Ethan, and Carter are seniors at a performing arts school, getting ready for their Senior Showcase recital, where the pressure is on to appeal to colleges, dance academies, and professionals in show business. For Sophie, a singer, it's been great to be friends with Emme, who composes songs for her, and to date Carter, soap opera heartthrob who gets plenty of press coverage. Emme and Ethan have been in a band together through all four years of school, but wonder if they could be more than just friends and bandmates. Carter has been acting since he was a baby, and isn't sure how to admit that he'd rather paint than perform. The Senior Showcase is going to make or break each of the four, in a funny, touching, spectacular finale that only Elizabeth Eulberg could perform.

Starting from the first few paragraphs of the book, I was definitely reminded of the movie Fame, but the more I read, the story turned out to be a little different than what I was expecting.  Needless to say, I enjoyed it a lot.  Take a Bow is about more than wanting to be in the spotlight for each of the students.

The description of the book may seem a little misleading, because although the story is told from different points of view (which I love, love, love) Emme is- without a doubt- the leading lady.  Many things revolve around her, which I appreciate because she's a total sweetheart and my favorite character.  Like its main character, Take a Bow will make you feel elated and inspired by the time you are finally able to set this book down.

Along with as much as I loved the plot, I also felt that the other characters were very well developed.  With Sophie you felt the urge she had to manipulate others until she could get what she wanted, you felt Carter's determination to be who he wanted; not someone that everyone else expected him to be, and then you felt Ethan's passion for music and Emme.  It's clear that the story has a little romance developing, but it's about so much more than that.

By the time I was turning the last few pages, I had so much respect for the people who actually live these lives.  I can't imagine the pressure that performing arts students are put under, but their determination is incredible.  I can honestly say that I am inspired to reach the goals I have after reading this and one of those goals is to read more books by Elizabeth Eulberg!  If you've been thinking of buying this book once it's released, I wouldn't think twice about getting it.

2 comments:

  1. this has been on my wishlist afer since i read virtuosity 6 months ago
    i;m really drawn in to contemp

    rad review chey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Take a Bow. It is one of my favorite books of 2012!

    Great review Chey!

    ReplyDelete