Friday, April 27, 2012

Review: Die For Me by Amy Plum

Title: Die For Me
Author: Amy Plum
Publisher: HarperTeen
Age Group: Young Adult
Category:  Paranormal Romance
Release date: May 10th, 2011
Pages: 341 (Hardcover)
Rating: 5 out of 5
Source: Won
Goodreads | Amazon | Author
In the City of Lights, two star-crossed lovers battle a fate that is destined to tear them apart again and again for eternity. 


When Kate Mercier's parents die in a tragic car accident, she leaves her life--and memories--behind to live with her grandparents in Paris. For Kate, the only way to survive her pain is escaping into the world of books and Parisian art. Until she meets Vincent. 


Mysterious, charming, and devastatingly handsome, Vincent threatens to melt the ice around Kate's guarded heart with just his smile. As she begins to fall in love with Vincent, Kate discovers that he's a revenant--an undead being whose fate forces him to sacrifice himself over and over again to save the lives of others. Vincent and those like him are bound in a centuries-old war against a group of evil revenants who exist only to murder and betray. Kate soon realizes that if she follows her heart, she may never be safe again.

Die For Me truly surprised me with an incredible storyline and a pulse-quickening romance.  Had I known that this book was such a satisfying read, I would have picked it up sooner.  After their parents' unexpected death, Kate and Georgia move to Paris to live with their father's parents.  They knew the experience would change their lives forever, but they didn't exactly know how much until Kate caught the eye of a gorgeous man named Vincent.

As I know how painful it is to lose one parent, I can't imagine losing both; Kate and Georgia have my sympathy from day one.  Other than that, I found Kate to be most relatable.  She's definitely less outgoing than her older sister.  When she goes to the cafe and spots Vincent and his friends, he's all she has on her mind until they exchange words days later.  Like Kate, I fell for Vincent fast.  Their relationship turns out to be a lot more complicated than expected, as Vincent turns out to be something called a Revenant.

I loved Plum's idea of Revenants and how they die over and over again in order to save lives.  When you think of it, how painful it has to be to go through death more than once, you begin to have more respect for Vincent and each of his friends.  Speaking of his friends, I loved their characters just as much as Vincent and Kate.  The Revenants live in one home together and they're a pretty tight-knit family, as I'm sure you have to be when you're teaming up to save others.  Jules and Charlotte were my favorites, making my insides gooey with how quickly they accepted Kate.

What I loved most about Die For Me is that I felt that I've never read anything like it before.  It was completely original and kept me aching for more information, more action, and definitely more romance.  Oh, did I mention it's set in Paris, one of the most gorgeous cities in the world?!  Needless to say, this book quickly rose towards the top of my favorites and I'm dying to get my hands on the sequel, Until I Die.

6 comments:

  1. Great review! *runs out to pick up copy* The cover is fantastic as well ~ and I am always a sucker for a pretty cover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your review, I also love this book and can't wait for the sequel. Such an original and beautiful story *sigh for Vincent*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I really enjoyed this book and I'm close to finishing the sequel as we speak, which has also been a fun read too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really need to read this! I've heard such good things about it, but it just slips my mind everytime i enter a book store. thanks for stopping by my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, great review! I'm now wondering why I have waited so long to read this.. I'm going to give it a shot very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice review! I haven't read this book yet but I think I might have to add it to my wishlist. It sounds like something I'd enjoy. I'm usually into the whole star-crossed lovers thing.

    ReplyDelete